Donna Summer may be gone, but the music she created is timeless, having not only defined an era but also serving as an influence for musicians who followed.
Hailed as the Queen of Disco, Summer’s phenomenal success provided us with a seemingly endless supply of anthems: “She Works Hard for the Money”; “Hot Stuff”; “Love to Love You Baby”; and “Last Dance” all could easily find themselves in rotation today. Without a doubt, that enduring latter single will be heard around the world today in honor of her memory.
Her family told CNN in a statement that they lost the icon early Thursday morning. Summer was “[a] woman of many gifts, the greatest being her faith. While we grieve her passing, we are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy. Words truly can’t express how much we appreciate your prayers and love for our family at this sensitive time.”
The singer’s passing Thursday at 63 hit the industry hard, and we’d guess Questlove of the Roots isn’t the only one surprised to find that the woman he’d just been listening to is now gone. He tweeted Thursday, “Donna Summer. Man I can’t believe this- like “My Baby Understands” was on my workout playlist this morning! This MORNING! God…I just…”
Actress and media personality Niecy Nash commented on the incredible loss the music industry has seen of late, writing, “Whitney. Tina Marie. Vesta. Now Donna Summer. The choir in heaven has a new member. They will be singing up a beautiful storm.”
Celebrity blogger Perez Hilton posted:
“Dancing with the Stars’” Brooke Burke-Charvet tweeted in response, “I’m sad, Donna Summer is my all time Fav Bad Girl! Love & prayers 4 her family.”
Many other famous fans from across the entertainment spectrum also chimed in Thursday to remember Summer’s impact, share their condolences and reflect on the legacy she’ll leave behind:
- “Few singers have impacted music & the world like Donna Summer! It’s the end of an era. Peace & prayers 2 all who loved her. I will miss her!” – Gloria Estefan
- “Donna Summer- You have inspired me in so many ways…..” – Solange Knowles
- “I remember sitting in the front seat of my mom’s toyota while she sang Donna Summer’s ‘she works hard for the money’ songs were just classic.” – Ryan Seacrest
- “One of my favorite singers of all time, Donna Summer, is dead. She defined dance music in the 70′s and had a wonderful voice and personality.” – Nigel Lythgoe
- “The last whooping I got as a kid was over Donna Summer. I threw a tantrum when my mom wouldn’t let me stay up to watch her on 20/20. … Don’t be sorry. I earned that whooping. And if I had to do it over again, I’d throw the same tantrum. Donna’s worth it!” – Yvette Nicole Brown
- “Damn… Donna Summer dies at 63. An unforgettable voice from my childhood, beloved by my Mom & brother. Let’s dance the last dance for her.” – Kevin Smith
- “[A] moment please for the wonderful #donnasummer a beautiful person a great disco diva and revolutionary performer. it’s just not right.” – Sandra Bernhard
- “R.I.P Donna Summer…I remember roller skating to hits like “Last Dance” “Hot Stuff” & “Bad Girls.” Synonymous with the 70′s..
#QueenOfDisco” – Mario Lopez
- “woah! donna summer gone to the great beyond !!! chuck brown then donna summer they’re gonna be dancing in heaven!!! i love donna summer RIP” – Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Article Courtesy of CNN