Grammy winning artist and actress Mary J. Blige has signed on to star in the musical film ‘Rock of Ages,’ joining megastar actor Tom Cruise.
Based on the theater production, ‘Rock of Ages’ is a musical built around classic rock hits from the 1980s, especially from the famous glam metal bands of the decade. The musical features songs from Styx, Journey, Bon Jovi, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Steve Perry, Poison and Asia, among other well-known rock bandsThe Broadway musical about pop and rock music from the 1980s.
Tom Cruise will play rock star Stacee Jaxx in the film, while the Queen of Hip Hop has signed on to play Justice, the bartender and mother of the character named Sherrie. Jaxx sings Bon Jovi’s ‘Wanted Dead of Alive’ in the theater production and one of Justice’s main songs is the 80s chestnut, ‘Harden My Heart,’ stated Roger Friedman of showbiz411.com .
With shooting set to start in May 2011, the film will be directed by Adam Shankman, who has directed several films, including ‘Bringing Down the House’ with Queen Latifah, ‘Step Up’ and ‘Hairspray.’
Blige was last seen on the big screen in a supporting role opposite Taraji P. Henson in Tyler Perry‘s film ‘I Can Do Bad All By Myself.’ She’s slated to legendary singer Nina Simone in a biopic but filming hasn’t started on that yet.
- Jamie Foxx Dukes It Out at Usher Pre-Grammy Concert
- Breaking News…El Debarge Checks Into Rehabilitation Center
- Golden Voice Ted Williams Says He Wasn’t Ready For Fame
- Kobe Bryant Love Child? Hit With Papers At Game
- Step In The Name Of Love! Whitney Houston And R. Kelly Perform At The Pre Grammy Party.
- Shaq And Hoopz Reality Stars!
- WTF: Bouncer Sues Reality TV Star For Clawing His Face! [Photos Of His Face]
- OMG: Usher Is Coming To Cleveland
- Aretha Franklin Reveals New Look, Shares Her Thoughts On Star Studded Grammy Tribute
- Cleveland Soul – #216 Music