My oldest daughter, who is 12, was checking her email the other day. Before she logged in to her account, she saw the headlines on Google News and took notice of the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York. She asked me later what I thought about that.
Some sins are worse than others, right? Not in the eyes of God maybe, but certainly to most of us. For better or for worse, we tend to place degrees on sin. In doing so, cheating on a test isn’t nearly as bad as–murder, adultery (whether heterosexual or homosexual), stealing a car, or perjuring ourselves in a court of law. I don’t mean to teach my kids that some sins are worse than others, but I do it every day by my own reactions and responses to sin in both their lives and mine. They are learning early from me.
For the longest time I’ve struggled to put my finger on just what I believe about homosexuality and whether or not same-sex marriages should be allowed. Five years ago, I think I would have come down pretty solid on the line of “absolutely not”–under no circumstance should this mockery of what God ordained as union between one man and one woman be given the same status.
I’m not sure I can say that anymore. Wait a minute: It isn’t that I think homosexuality is OK and is something Scripture overlooks or agrees with. But it is that I’m understanding a little better that what is commanded of Christians is simply not the same as what we should expect from those who do not follow the ways of God.
Because of my Christian worldview, I do not agree with the practice of homosexuality, but I do not expect the government or most of our country or world to share that view. The trick for me right now is how do I explain that to my kids?
- Meet Lauren London’s & Lil Wayne’s Baby [PHOTO]
- Retired Cavs Player’s Unsolved Murder Draws Lawsuit from Family, 911 Calls Ignored
- Basketball Wives: The Smackdown in Italy [VIDEO]
- New Music By Johnny Gill ‘In The Mood’ [VIDEO]
- 14 Things Men Think About During Sex
- 4 People Shot, 1 Killed During The George Clinton Concert At The Unity Festival Luke Easter Park!! [Video]
- Diddy and J-Lo Back Together Again
- BET Cancels Mo’Nique’s Talk Show
- Keri Hilson Attacked By Amy Winehouse Fans On Twitter
- Keyshia Cole Rocks Interesting Hairstyle At Performance [VIDEO]
- [ione-gallery id=”37841″ src=”http://newsone.com”%5D