A lot of us think “my parents just don’t understand” and it’s true—our parents don’t understand a lot of things of our generation. Lady Gaga probably looks like an escaped patient from a mental institution and they wonder why we keep adding colons and parentheses at the end of our text messages. But, there are some things that are timeless, and if your parents try to instill one of these little gems in you, let them:
As tempting as it is to enjoy the security of a relationship, play the field as much as possible before you do. Your parents, with many more years behind them, probably dated many people who they thought at one point were the one and in retrospect are so happy they didn’t settle down with them. You need to see what’s out there to know what’s best for you.
Don’t move too fast:
Travelling together, moving in together, getting married…you might think you’ve waited a long time to do these things because you wait a few months or a few years, but your parents know that a few years is just a blip in time, and it’s so worth waiting a little longer before making such a big decision.
Have some single fun:
Sometimes, just don’t date! Not that your parents don’t love each other, but they probably miss their single days when they were completely free to go on month long trips through Europe with their friends, take an exciting job across country, and—let’s be real—make out with a lot of strangers. They’re able to enjoy being committed to one person now, because they got their wild days out of their system when they were young.
Play the game a little in the beginning:
Don’t give the guy a bunch of time and attention too soon. Not because you think you’re a princess or because you want to be manipulative, but because really, you barely know the guy! Don’t skip out on girl’s night for him, or let him keep you up super late when you said you wanted to be home later. Stick to your guns—he hasn’t earned his way to a place in your life where you should be compromising anything for him.
Read More “Totally Timeless Dating Tips” On: MadameNoire
Most Popular Articles
- Love and Hip Hop’s Erica Fights Rumored Boyfriend Raul of Terror Squad! [VIDEO]
- LeBron James & Baby Momma, Savannah Brinson engaged
- Ginuwine (And His 9 Kids) Share Family Photos With Fans!
- You Know That Home R Kelly Let Go Into Foreclosure . . . Well It Was His STASH HOUSE For Underage Girl!!! (Exclusive Details And Pics)
- Former NFLer Chris Draft Loses Wife Keasha To Cancer, 1 Month After Their Wedding
- Beyonce Is In Labor, Admitted To Hospital
- NFLer loses wife to cancer one month after marriage
- Erica Mena: VH1 Ruined My Career When They Aired That Fight! (She Also Says She NEVER Called The Cops)
- One Of The Girls On LOVE AND HIP HOP Got Their RAPPER BF [PHOTOS]
- “Fresh Prince” Star On Will Smith: “I’ll Never Reunite With That A**hole”