His cruising style might tell you more about his personality than you think.How do you and your partner spend time on the road? It’s pretty common for couples to at least bicker when it comes to travel and driving, whether it’s about directions, where to stop on a roadtrip or whether to listen to music or NPR. But, are your car arguments reflections of larger issues you have with each other? Well maybe, but then again maybe you just need to compromise and turn down the music.
Read on to see what his behavior when you’re driving together could indicate about his personality – and see if you detect any of these behaviors in yourself.
1. He has road rage, yells and curses at other drivers, or he drives too fast. This could mean he has a lot of pent-up frustration to release in his every day life, and needs another outlet to release it. Try talking to him about it or encouraging him to start a new hobby.
2. As soon as he gets behind the wheel or in the car, he gets quiet and doesn’t seem to want to talk to you. Maybe he’s singing along to the music, but he’s definitely tuning you out. Don’t worry, this could just mean he has an otherwise hectic lifestyle and needs a respite from the madness. People unwind differently, and for him, driving could mean relaxation.
3. He suddenly feels the need to talk about relationship issues. He’s had some problems on his mind for awhile, and sees the car as a good place to discuss them, since here, you’re confined in solitude together. This isn’t necessarily cause for alarm – some couples use long car trips for talking about long-standing issues, and it works for them. Just make sure the conversation is productive and goal-oriented, rather than angry and accusatory. No raising your voices.
4. He suggests you drive more than he does. He’s happy taking a backseat in the relationship and letting you be in control.
5. He drives too slowly, or stops too often at rest stops. He could be indecisive about life, and not goal-oriented about where he’s going. Driving slowly could mean he’s careful, but it could also mean you won’t get to your “destination” as fast as you’d like. This is a guy who needs a lot of positive encouragement.