For Berry Gordy, conquering Broadway is the next – and by his own admission, last – major milestone of a magical, musical career.The 83-year-old Motown Records founder is taking his story and that of his legendary label to the Great White Way.
“Motown: The Musical,” which begins previews on Monday at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, allows Gordy to relive the ups and downs of a career that launched him into the entertainment stratosphere and he’s confident will allow him to leave the stage on a high note.
“Most likely it will be my last major endeavor in a creative way,” he said in a telephone interview. “Of course everyone disagrees with me when I say that statement. This is probably the epitome of everything I’ve done – that I’ve wanted to do.”
For those under the impression that Gordy simply signed off on the musical, think again.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer not only sealed up a Broadway slot and agreed to co-produce the show, he also delivered its book and three original songs.
“When I came to Broadway, I had no idea I was going to love it as much as I do,” Gordy said. “(People asked), `How are you going to Broadway-ize Motown?’ I said, `I’m not going to Broadway-ize Motown, I’m going to bring Motown to Broadway.’”
This time, he’s starting with experience. Motown’s big stars during the label’s heyday were, as Gordy puts it, “kids off the street” – singers such as a not-far-out-of-high-school Smokey Robinson, Little Stevie Wonder and a pre-teen Michael Jackson.
- LOCAL: Cleveland Man Who Spent 13 Years in Prison Wins $13 Million
- Marcus Canty on Life After ‘X Factor’ and Redefining R&B [VIDEO]
- Interstate 90 Reopened After Pedestrian Bridge Destroyed!
- 6 Teens In Warren Killed When Vehicle Goes Off The Road In A Swamp!
- Access Cleveland Podcast: Sugar Hill Gang’s Master Gee Talks Cleveland & Hip Hop
- Access Cleveland Podcast: Pastor R.A. Vernon’s Weekly Message
- Access Cleveland Podcast: Carl Weber Talks About His New Book “The Man In 3B”
- Do You Know The Classic Dating Myths?
- How to Deal with Your Spouse’s Annoying Habits
- How to Deflect Nosey Relationship Questions