We knew the late James Avery best as “Uncle Phil” from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. On the show, the TV dad had taken in his nephew (Will Smith) and raised him as one of his own, but Will wasn’t the only youth benefitting from Uncle Phil’s life lessons on the small screen. As we watched Will’s character develop, we grew too and when Avery passed after complications from open heart surgery in 2013, the world lost a legend.
Every now and then social media remembers Avery the best way we know how and this week it’s with an old clip of that time he popped up on the set of Family Matters to surprise Uncle Carl (Reginald VelJohnson). Avery was in character, doing that Uncle Phil thing that only he can do. Watch the clip below, plus some reactions from Twitter.
Rest in peace to James Avery. #GoneButNeverForgotten.
Everything You Never Knew About 'This Is Us' TV Dad Ron Cephas Jones
1. 'This Is Us' makes Jones cry, too.Source: 1 of 11
2. Jones' acting credits go way, way back.Source: 2 of 11
3. Jones is also a formidable theater and TV vet.Source:Getty 3 of 11
4. Jones shares a real life connection with his TV son, Sterling K. Brown.Source:Getty 4 of 11
5. Jones was recognized at this year's Emmys.Source:Getty 5 of 11
6. Jones has a daughter who takes after him in the acting department.Source:Getty 6 of 11
7. Jasmine is really proud of her dad's hard work and success.Source: 7 of 11
8. Jones is an East Coast fella.Source:Getty 8 of 11
9. The script is what got Jones excited about 'This Is Us.'Source: 9 of 11
10. We'll see William Hill again.Source:Getty 10 of 11
11. Music is one of Jones' major loves in real life, tooSource:Getty 11 of 11
Rest In Peace: This Uncle Phil Moment Makes Us Miss The Late James Avery was originally published on globalgrind.com