As police officers have been convicted of killing people of color in recent months, charges may come in another case involving an unarmed Black man in New York City. Saheed Vassell‘s father, who has waited six months for answers, said he was hoping the wheels of justice will start turning despite several obstacles.
Eric Vassell, the father of the 34-year-old man who was fatally shot by New York Police Department (NYPD) officers in April, met with New York State Attorney General Barbara Underwood to discuss possible charges on Tuesday, Mic reported. He didn’t receive the news that he wanted to hear from Underwood and was instead given the standard non-answer usually given in police shooting cases typically followed by long waiting periods for potential charges as investigations get underway and authorities gather facts.
“At this time, they won’t tell us when they will come to a decision,” Vassell said about his meeting with the attorney general’s office.
Vassell, who had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, was killed by police on April 4. He pointed what turned out to be a metal pipe at pedestrians during a walk in his Crown Heights, Brooklyn neighborhood. Someone called the police to alert them about Vassell before four responding officers opened fire on the West Indian man within seconds of their arrival, a surveillance video revealed.
The man’s death sparked major protests. However, none of the officers were ever disciplined, Eric Vassell said. Typically, officers are put on administrative leave pending investigations, with some fired as charges are brought by authorities. However, the NYPD, which has not yet officially disciplined Daniel Pantaleo and all the officers involved in Eric Garner‘s fatal shooting, gave similar treatment to officers Leon Dinham, Anthony Bottiglieri, Bekim Molic and Omar Rafiq in Vassell’s shooting. Their names were leaked to the press in July after the department shielded them from release.
With the NYPD, Vassell recognized its troublesome treatment of Garner’s shooting. Though he is hopeful for justice, he fears that his son’s death may be overlooked by the beleaguered department.
“This is the tactics of the NYPD to just [let] the families suffer for years and years and years,” Vassell told reporters Tuesday. I’ve seen them do that. They do all types of things to cause us to break down. It’s a game that they keep on playing with us over and over, wanting us to believe they’ll do good.”
The Most Disgusting, Racist Ads From Political Candidates In 2018
1. Former Georgia Governor Candidate Michael Williams' "Deportation Bus" AdSource: 1 of 13
2. Florida Governor Candidate Ron DeSantis' "Build The Wall" AdSource: 2 of 13
3. Campaign mailer in NJ's 3rd District calling Korean-Am. Andy Kim [D] 'Fishy' And 'Chop Suey'Source: 3 of 13
4. Black Republican John James Using Nazi Symbol In AdSource: 4 of 13
5. Republican Governors Association Ad Is 'Worried About' Mexican-American David GarciaSource: 5 of 13
6. Texas Ad Against Colin Allred, Showing A Dark Hand Covering A White Woman's MouthSource: 6 of 13
7. Texas Republicans Attempting To Target Hindu-Americans
Source: 7 of 13
Asking Hindu-Americans if they would rather vote for a donkey or an elephant by comparing Ganesha, a religious figure, to a political party is highly inappropriate.— Sri Preston Kulkarni (@SriPKulkarni) September 18, 2018
The Fort Bend County Republican party must retract this ad. https://t.co/zHyqux9Soc pic.twitter.com/z1Us2oVQ5L
8. Republican Congressman French Hill Bizarre Radio Ad
Source: 8 of 13
This is a real radio ad currently running in Arkansas in support of Republican Congressman French Hill on radio stations targeted to the African American community. I don't even have words to describe it. pic.twitter.com/vpzt1nGPlc— Ben Tribbett (@notlarrysabato) October 18, 2018
9. Georgia Governor Candidate Brian Kemp
Source: 9 of 13
How are we letting this happen:— Devin Grainger (@devlightyear) October 11, 2018
1️⃣ Brian Kemp (has Trump’s “full endorsement”) is running for Gov against @staceyabrams
2️⃣ Kemp is in charge of voter registration
3️⃣ Kemp made a rule that is stopping 53,000 ppl from voting, 70% are black
4️⃣ This is Kemp:pic.twitter.com/0jVItGpHH8
10. And Another One From Brian Kemp...
Source: 10 of 13
Wow. So on the SOS website #BrianKemp has an advance voting video. Take a look at who gets to vote and who doesn’t. Nice messaging, Kemp. Please just #resign already. #gapol #gagov #TeamAbrams pic.twitter.com/D4gmMeb4Cw— Anjali Enjeti (@AnjaliEnjeti) October 18, 2018
11. Rep. Duncan Hunter Tries To Scare People With His 'Palestinian, Mexican, Millennial Democrat' AdSource: 11 of 13
12. National Republican Congressional Committee Trying To Criminalize Antonio Delgado Because He Used To Be A RapperSource: 12 of 13
13. National Republican Congressional Committee Trying To Criminalize Antonio Delgado Because He Used To Be A RapperSource: 13 of 13
Saheed Vassell’s Father Fights For Charges After Son’s Police Shooting was originally published on newsone.com