WASHINGTON (AP) — Michelle Obama says she felt “lost and alone” after suffering a miscarriage 20 years ago and underwent in vitro fertilization to conceive her two daughters.
She tells ABC in an interview aired on “Good Morning America” she felt like she “failed because I didn’t know how common miscarriages were because we don’t talk about them.” Mrs. Obama, 54, says she and former President Barack Obama “had to do IVF” to conceive Sasha and Malia, now 17 and 20.
In her memoir “Becoming,” set to come out Tuesday, the former first lady writes openly about everything from growing up in Chicago to confronting racism in public life and becoming the country’s first black first lady. She also reflects on early struggles in her marriage as Obama began his political career.
The Obamas Through The Years
1. The couple wed on October 3, 1992. (AP)Source: 1 of 14
2. Barack popped the question at Gordon’s Restaurant, When dessert was served, the ring box was sitting on the plate. (AP)Source: 2 of 14
3. When Michelle first saw Barack's picture in a law firm directory she thought he had a big nose. (AP)Source: 3 of 14
4. For their Honeymoon, the Obamas drove down the California coast drinking wine and eating pizza. (AP)Source: 4 of 14
5. The Obamas were caught on the NBA's kissing cam, Michelle shyly denied the POTUS, before laying one on him the next time.(AP)Source: 5 of 14
6. They love the law. Both of them hold law degrees and worked as attorneys at the beginning of their careers. (AP)Source: 6 of 14
7. Michelle says Barack often helps her wash the family dishes. (AP)Source: 7 of 14
8. The Obama's first kiss was in front of the Baskin Robbins ice cream shop.Source: 8 of 14
9. The two met while working at Chicago law firm Sidley Austin in 1989, Michelle was Barack's supervisor. (PR)Source: 9 of 14
10. After refusing to go out with Barack for a month, Michelle finally agreed to their first date which was filled with fun. (PR))Source: 10 of 14
11. The couple saw Spike Lee's classic movie "Do The Right Thing on their first date. (AP)Source: 11 of 14
12. Also, on their first date the couple visited the art institute and ate at a cafe. (AP)Source: 12 of 14
13. The Obama's finished off their first date with a drink on the 99th floor of the John Hancock Building in Chicago. (AP)Source: 13 of 14
14. Michelle says Barack tucks her in to bed at night at 10pm since he goes to bed much later. (AP)Source: 14 of 14
Michelle Obama Had Miscarriage, Used IVF To Conceive Girls was originally published on blackamericaweb.com