Rap’s Cinderella Cardi B beat out a tough Best Rap Album crowd to take home the gramophone on Sunday night and in the process, she made a little bit of history too.
With her win, Cardi B is the first solo female rapper to ever take home the crown of Best Rap Album. The only other woman to have claimed to the award is Lauryn Hill who won as a member of The Fugees with The Score in 1997.
The union of Hill and Cardi seems to be coming up plenty over the last year and a half. Like Hill, Cardi is the only other female rapper to have a solo No. 1 song on the Billboard chart as “Bodak Yellow” assumed the top spot in 2017 as “Doo Wop (That Thing)” did in 1998.
The Grammys created the Best Rap Album category in 1995 with Naughty By Nature taking home the initial award. The category has been dominated by Eminem and Kanye West. Em has six wins in the category and four of Kanye’s first five albums, beginning with The College Dropout in 2005 have won the most Best Rap Album Grammys.
Congrats to Cardi on the history-making win!
- John Singleton Hospitalized After Having Stroke
- LOCAL NEWS: Carroll County Teen Who Has Been Missing Was Found Dead
- Remembering the Columbine High School Shooting 20 Years Later
- Senator Mitt Romney Is Not Impressed with President Donald Trump
- Five-Year-Old in Michigan Calls 911 for McDonald’s
- How Pizza is Better Than a Lot of Cereals for Breakfast
- How Does Peeps on a Pizza Sound to You?
- Jussie Smollett’s Older Brother Breaks His Silence In Powerful Essay
- LOCAL NEWS: Children Kicked Out of Akron Area Christian School Because of Mother’s Marital Status and Different Fathers
- Ari Fletcher Details Alleged Violent Beating She Suffered From G Herbo
Cardi B Makes History With Her Best Rap Album Win At The 2019 Grammys was originally published on theboxhouston.com