Rap’s Cinderella Cardi B beat out a tough Best Rap Album crowd to take home the gramophone on Sunday night and in the process, she made a little bit of history too.
With her win, Cardi B is the first solo female rapper to ever take home the crown of Best Rap Album. The only other woman to have claimed to the award is Lauryn Hill who won as a member of The Fugees with The Score in 1997.
The union of Hill and Cardi seems to be coming up plenty over the last year and a half. Like Hill, Cardi is the only other female rapper to have a solo No. 1 song on the Billboard chart as “Bodak Yellow” assumed the top spot in 2017 as “Doo Wop (That Thing)” did in 1998.
The Grammys created the Best Rap Album category in 1995 with Naughty By Nature taking home the initial award. The category has been dominated by Eminem and Kanye West. Em has six wins in the category and four of Kanye’s first five albums, beginning with The College Dropout in 2005 have won the most Best Rap Album Grammys.
Congrats to Cardi on the history-making win!
- ‘Where My Dogs At?’ TVOne’s ‘Uncensored’ To Air DMX’s Final Interview
- Submit Now: Are You Cleveland’s Best Mother/Child Duo?
- Nominate Your Hometown Shero As We’re Celebrating Women Leading Change In Our Communities!
- Erica Campbell & Roland Martin To Host Urban One Honors May 16th On TV One
- Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx Apologies For ‘Confusion’ Her Office Caused in Adam Toldeo Case
- ‘My Story Has The Power To Save Lives’: A Black Mom Living With Heart Disease Shares Her Mother’s Day Wish
- My Late Mother Taught Me The Power Of Unwavering Faith
- Lori Harvey Breaks Down Her “Glowy And Radiant” Skincare Routine That’s Michael B. Jordan Approved
- Cori Bush Pushes Back After Using Gender-Inclusive Language During Powerful Testimony On Black Maternal Health
- Letitia James Files $2.75M Suit Against Right-Wing Voter Operatives Who Targeted Black Voters
- LOCAL NEWS: Longtime Akron-Area Televangelist Ernest Angley Has Passed Away at Age 99
- Queen Naija Opens Up About Getting A ‘Mommy Makeover’ To Feel Comfortable Again
- New Moms Reflect On Learning To Love Their Body After Having A C-Section
- Pop Smoke Was Shot Over A Rolex By A 15-Year-Old
Cardi B Makes History With Her Best Rap Album Win At The 2019 Grammys was originally published on theboxhouston.com