According to NBC4i, One of the last standing sites of Black central Ohio history has been spared the blow of Ohio State University’s cranes and bulldozers.
After community outcry, Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center has walked back plans to demolish the Henderson House for its new inpatient rehabilitation hospital, the medical center announced Friday. The 19th-century house on Columbus’ East Side, originally owned by former Ohio governor and U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes, was bought by Leon Henderson and turned into a social hub for the Black community.
“Ohio State heard us. They are with us at the table, and not just about this concern over the new hospital and the house,” Julialynne Walker, chair of the Near East Side advisory committee and chair of the Franklin Park Civic Association, said in a press release.
- See a prior NBC4i broadcast on this subject below
For the full NBC4 story click here
Get News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
- 16-Year-Old Cleveland Mom Accused of Killing Newborn Twins on House Arrest
- Bill Cosby Sued For Rape in Los Angeles County
- Megan Thee Stallion Reveals She’s Not Releasing New Music Until She’s “In A Better Place”
- Haters Are Review Bombing ‘The Little Mermaid’ & It’s Pretty Obvious Why
- Thembi Mawema Shares The Pros And Cons Of Her Position As The Director Of Social Content For The Shade Room
- Rapper Lil Durk Blesses A Homeless Fan
- Tupac Shakur Will Receive His California Love On HWOF
- The Bijou Star Files: Stephanie Mills Got Halle Bailey’s Back
- Funeral Details Set For Cyrus Carmack-Belton As Killer’s Violent Past Surfaces
- Aminé Announces His New Balance Collab Is On The Way
Ohio State no longer demolishing historic Black landmark was originally published on mycolumbusmagic.com
Prayers: Singer Will Downing Shared The Passing of His Daughter
Cleveland Browns Legend Jim Brown Has Passed Away
Iconic Singer Tina Turner Dead at 83
Offset Exposes Cardi B’s Buns via Instagram Story
Who Is Andrew Bankhead? Ex-Mississippi Cop Who Shot Teen ‘In The Back’ Over Daughter
2 Alligators Spotted Loose in Ohio, 1 Still Missing
DONNA SUMMER: Twelve Facts You Didn't Know About "The Queen of Disco"
Tina Turner Photos Through The Years: A Legacy Never Forgotten