A playful looking Halle Berry graces the cover of Ebony Magazine. Yet it’s not all fun in games inside her cover story. Halle is in a very public custody battle with her ex Gabriel Aubry. They have been exchanging vicious words in the media for weeks now. It has been reported that Gabriel doesn’t want Nahla being called black. While Halle cites the Jim Crow laws (one drop rule) from the reconstruction period, stating her daughter is black. Read a few excerpts from Halle’s cover story below.
Halle On Her Daughter’s Race:
What I think is that that’s something she’s going to have to decide. I’m not going to put a label on it. I had to decide for myself and that’s what she’s going to have to decide-how she identifies herself in the world. And I think, largely, that will be based on how the world identifies her. That’s how I identified myself. But I feel like she’s Black. I’m Black and I’m her mother, and I believe in the one-drop theory.
Halle On Her Own Racial Identity:
I identify as a black woman, but I’ve always had to embrace my mother and the white side of who I am, too. By choosing, I’ve often [wondered], “Well, would that make her feel like I’m invalidating her by choosing to identify more with the Black side of myself?
Halle On Dating Non Black Men:
Well, first thing I want to say is that I’m very connected to my community, and I want Black people to know that I haven’t abandoned them because I’ve had a child with a man outside of my race and I’m dating someone now outside my race who is Spanish and French. I have never been more clear about who I am as a Black woman[…] And who I really am is a Black woman who is struggling to make my race proud of me, who is struggling to move Black women forward in the profession I’ve chosen, and those relationships have actually helped me identify more clearly[….]The truth that it’s taken me a long time to learn how to love myself, and color isn’t really a part of what I look at when I’m deciding who I want to spend time with. I look for the soul, the person, the evolution, what he believes in, who [he is as a person] and how does it affect me in a positive way.
- Jamie Foxx Dukes It Out at Usher Pre-Grammy Concert
- Breaking News…El Debarge Checks Into Rehabilitation Center
- Golden Voice Ted Williams Says He Wasn’t Ready For Fame
- Kobe Bryant Love Child? Hit With Papers At Game
- Step In The Name Of Love! Whitney Houston And R. Kelly Perform At The Pre Grammy Party.
- Shaq And Hoopz Reality Stars!
- WTF: Bouncer Sues Reality TV Star For Clawing His Face! [Photos Of His Face]
- OMG: Usher Is Coming To Cleveland
- Aretha Franklin Reveals New Look, Shares Her Thoughts On Star Studded Grammy Tribute
- Cleveland Soul – #216 Music