CHAGRIN FALLS, Ohio – Everyone was evacuated from Joey’s Restaurant in Chagrin Falls after a fire broke out in the kitchen Wednesday morning.

Multiple fire departments were called to the scene shortly before 11 a.m. after the blaze spread from the kitchen and engulfed the Italian eatery.

It’s not known the extent of damage to the landmark building on North Main Street near the falls.

Fire officials at the scene said no one was injured, but battling the blaze was difficult due to lack of access to the restaurant. Mutual aid from other area fire departments was key to saving the historic structure, officials said.

The building next door to Joey’s, Umami Asian Kitchen, was damaged by the flames. Investigators said they’ll have to close their doors until repairs can be made. Belkin Productions INC, a company located above Joey’s Restaurant, also sustained fire damage. Fire officials said some memorabilia may have been destroyed.

Chagrin Falls Fire Chief Frank Zugan said the investigation is over for Wednesday night, but they will resume looking into exactly what sparked the blaze Thursday morning. It’s now believed the fire started in the basement of Joey’s and spread to the kitchen.

Read more:

Article Courtesy of WEWS NewsChannel 5