SHAKER HEIGHTS, OH (WOIO) –
There won’t be any fireworks on July 4th here in Shaker Heights Thursday. Some bad behavior last year forced officials to call them off this year.
The 2012 fireworks show in Shaker Heights ended with fights, arrests and unruly teenagers running through residential neighborhoods.
“It’s reached a point where some of the residents in the surrounding area came to us after the last fireworks and asked us please not to do it again,” said Mayor Earl Leiken.
“If you can’t control it and it’s not fun and a serious accident could happen…really serious and it’s building up then it’s probably better to cancel it if you can’t control it,” said Jerry Leibson.
“Very disappointed. I actually was looking at the list and I was pretty surprised that Shaker didn’t have a fireworks show,” said Willie Haynes.
The Shaker fireworks were a big draw and a tradition for local families who flocked to the area near Shaker Heights Middle School to see the show. But some say a year off may be a good thing.
“I think canceling it this year will send a message that zero tolerance for hooliganism and other types of aberrant behavior. I think that’s going to send a pretty serious message,” said William Dunn Sr.
But many are hoping the fireworks will return next year.
“Shaker’s a very liberal, avant-garde community. Very positive. I think they”ll be back,” added Willie Haynes.
There were almost 100 police officers on duty at the fireworks last year, including many from neighboring towns. But things still got out of hand. The mayor says this year is a cooling off period and it’s possible the fireworks will be back next year.
Article and Picture Courtesy of WOIO 19 Action News