Esperanza Spalding may have won the Grammy for Best New Artist, but some have reveled in her talent for years.
A 26-year old, classically trained jazz/chamber music fusion musician and singer, Spalding has been making headlines in the jazz world since before her 2006 debut solo album, “Junjo.” Having attended the Berklee Academy of Music, where she immediately became a professor after graduating at 20 years old, she began to travel with well known jazz musicians — and then, the President.
“Chamber Music Society” is actually her eighth overall album, including her teenage band and collaborations with famous jazz musicians. But she’s still excited to be considered Best New Artist.
“I feel really lucky that I got to be acknowledged on this stage in front of so many people who hopefully will get to experience my music, and I got there by doing what’s really dear to my heart,” she told the AP after her win.
To earn the Grammy, she beat out an impressive field, including teen idol Justin Bieber, rapper Drake and band Florence + The Machine. Beliebers, as Bieber’s are known, hacked into her Wikipedia page after the upset win, making changes such as saying she won, “even though no one has heard of her.”
Clearly, that’s not the case.
Source: Huffington Post
- Jamie Foxx Dukes It Out at Usher Pre-Grammy Concert
- Update: Tisha Campbell Speaks on Lung Disease
- Golden Voice Ted Williams Says He Wasn’t Ready For Fame
- Update: Jamie Foxx Gets In A Fight At Usher’s Concert (Video)
- Lebron Fires Back at Disrespectful Fan!
- Shaq And Hoopz Reality Stars!
- OMG: Usher Is Coming To Cleveland
- WTF: Bouncer Sues Reality TV Star For Clawing His Face! [Photos Of His Face]
- Keyshia Cole Talks Defining Moment in Reality TV (VIDEO)
- Step In The Name Of Love! Whitney Houston And R. Kelly Perform At The Pre Grammy Party.