CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) –
The nominations for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012 were announced Tuesday.
The nominees are:
- Beastie Boys
- The Cure
- Eric B. & Rakim
- Guns ‘N Roses
- Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
- Freddie King
- Laura Nyro
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Rufus with Chaka Khan
- The Small Faces/The Faces
- The Spinners
- Donna Summer
“The 2012 Nominees embody the broad scope of what ‘rock and roll’ means,” said Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. “From vocal groups to hip hop, from singer-songwriters to hard rocking artists, this group represents the spirit of what we celebrate at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”
Ballots will be sent to more than 500 voters, who will select artists to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the 27th Annual Induction Ceremony. To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. The 2012 Nominees had to release their first recording no later than 1986.
All inductees are ultimately represented in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland, the nonprofit organization that exists to educate its audiences on the global impact of the rock and roll art form via the museum, as well as its education programs and library and archives.
In conjunction with the Nominee announcement, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum also announced the schedule of public events that will build momentum and celebrate the Induction Ceremony’s return to Cleveland in April 2012. Beginning on April 5, the ten-day celebration will include:
- The 27th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at Public Hall
- The Grand Opening of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Library and Archives
- Unveiling of newly-redesigned Museum exhibit space
- Opening of a new blockbuster exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
- Free Concert for Cleveland
- Rock My Soul: A Gospel Tribute
- Free Museum day presented by Medical Mutual of Ohio
- Hall of Fame Series with Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee
- National broadcast of the Museum’s award-winning On The Road education program, featuring a guest appearance by a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee
- National digital learning project showcase
“The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Week is unique to Cleveland, Ohio,” said Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson. “We open the doors to the public, creating a one-of-a-kind week long experience connecting fans and the musicians they love, with the best Cleveland has to offer. It clearly sends the message to the world that Cleveland Rocks.”
Tables and VIP Packages for the 27th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony are available now. The ceremony will again be open to the public, as it was – for the first time in the event’s history – at the 2009 Inductions in Cleveland. Individual tickets for the Induction Ceremony will go on sale to the public in December 2011. Visit rockhall.com for details.
Article Courtesy of WOIO 19 Action News