Listen Live
St Jude banner

Source: JUNG YEON-JE / Getty


Otto Warmbier’s family on Monday reported their son who was just returned from North Korea detention has died. He was returned from the totalitarian nation Tuesday with severe brain damage.

Warmbier, 22, a finance student at the University of Virginia, was arrested in North Korea after trying to steal a propaganda poster. He was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor.

However, his condition quickly deteriorated. The North Koreans claim he contracted botulism and was given a sleeping pill he never work up from. His doctors at the University of Cincinnati say there’s no evidence that is true. However, he showed no signs of physical trauma.

The family went 15 months without hearing a word from their son or any updates on his condition from the North Koreans or Swedish officials that do diplomatic work in the DPRK on the behalf of the United States.

Statement from the family:

It is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home.  Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died today at 2:20pm.

It would be easy at a moment like this to focus on all that we lost – future time that won’t be spent with a warm, engaging, brilliant young man whose curiosity and enthusiasm for life knew no bounds. But we choose to focus on the time we were given to be with this remarkable person.  You can tell from the outpouring of emotion from the communities that he touched – Wyoming, Ohio and the University of Virginia to name just two – that the love for Otto went well beyond his immediate family.

We would like to thank the wonderful professionals at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center who did everything they could for Otto. Unfortunately, the awful torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible beyond the sad one we experienced today.

When Otto returned to Cincinnati late on June 13th he was unable to speak, unable to see and unable to react to verbal commands. He looked very uncomfortable – almost anguished.  Although we would never hear his voice again, within a day the countenance of his face changed – he was at peace.  He was home and we believe he could sense that. 

We thank everyone around the world who has kept him and our family in their thoughts and prayers.   We are at peace and at home too.



Article Courtesy of WXIX-TV Cincinnati and WOIO Cleveland 19 News

Picture Courtesy of Jung Yeon-Je and Getty Images

Joseline Hernandez VS Mona Scott Young
0 photos