Flashback Friday: Here’s What Was Happening In Pop Culture In 2006
was originally published on
1. Shiloh Jolie Pitt was named the top baby born in 2006. Shiloh was the first biological child of A-list couple Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
2. George Clooney was named People’s Sexiest Man Alive. Angelina Jolie took the title of Sexiest Woman.
3. Mariah Carey’s “Don’t Forget About Us” topped the Billboard Charts for that year.
4. Justin Timberlake’s “FutureSex/LoveSounds” and Beyonce’s “B’Day” became two of the best-selling albums of that year.
5. That summer, former N’Sync-er Lance Bass revealed he’s gay.
6. In February 2006, Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a campaign contributor during a weekend quail hunt on a friend’s South Texas ranch.
7. After Donald Trump announced that he wouldn’t fire troubled Miss USA Tara Conner, Rosie O’Donnell called him a “snake-oil salesman” and their feud began.
8. In May 2006, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that Anna Nicole Smith could her access her late husband’s fortune. In September, she gave birth to baby girl DannieLynn. That same month, her son Daniel died in her hospital room.
9. Sacha Baron Cohen’s “Borat” topped the box office, sparking a lot of controversy. Baron Cohen won a Golden Globe for Best Actor: Musical or Comedy.
10. The world was shocked by the death of Steve Irwin, also known as “The Crocodile Hunter.”
11. Oprah confronted best-selling author James Frey, who admitted that his book “A Million Little Pieces” was all fabricated.
12. Reese Witherspoon and husband Ryan Phillippe called it quits. So did Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn, & Britney Spears and Kevin Federline.
13. Mel Gibson racked up the DUIs and media scrutiny following his drunken, racist tirade.
14. Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 billion, becoming the most expensive purchase made by Google during its then eight-year history.