On average in the U.S. more than 400 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the CDC.
It’s not a huge problem statistically, but when it comes to your family it’s a preventable life and death situation.
We talked with a professional, licensed with the Ohio Department of Health, to learn what you need to know about keeping your family safe.
Anthony Russo, President of Northern Ohio Inspections, gives this advice regarding carbon monoxide in your home based on recommendations by the EPA.
CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
Keep something relatively new, preferably within the past three years. Old units can lose their ability to correctly identify dangerous levels of CO.
Get a detector that comes with a battery backup.
PLACING CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
Keep detectors within 10 feet of appliances using combustible fossil fuels, like furnaces or stoves.
Place the unit between 2 to 6 feet above the floor, within the breathing zone.
It’s not recommended to put a detector on a perimeter wall or near a window.
CARBON MONOXIDE LEVELS
CLICK HERE to read story