With Zoe Kravitz playing cat woman in the upcoming The Batman and Javicia Leslie serving the citizens of Gotham City as the first Black Batwoman in the second season of Batwoman on the EW, Black women are saving the world on TV too. Fans of the TV series got a first look at Leslie in the Batwoman suit, today, when images of Leslie in the black and red crusader get-up hit the net.
And how’s this for a change, Batwoman a.k.a. Ryan Wilder, has textured natural hair! With red highlights peeking between curls and bat ears that point upward, Leslie is serving #batgirlmagic. Get it?!
The costume, which is a collaboration between executive producer Caroline Dries and costume designer Maya Mani, is the perfect combination of Leslie’s portrayal of the iconic figure.
“I love the fact that Ryan is becoming her own Batwoman — it’s her style, her swag, and her moment,” said Leslie in a press release for the images. “It was an honor to be able to collaborate with Caroline and Maya. I felt it was important that viewers could tell by the silhouette that Batwoman was a Black girl. With the form-fitting suit and beautiful Afro, we definitely nailed it!”
Mani explained the designer behind Batwoman’s form-fitting costume and how to make it functional and relevant to her story.
“As Batwoman, Javicia Leslie not only brings a fresh perspective, but physical strength to the role,” she said. “It was important for the new suit to define Javicia’s commanding presence while showcasing her athleticism and allowing her the freedom to express the physical nature of Batwoman, all while looking ultra-cool in the process!”
It’s going to be really cool for little Black girls to see a Black women portraying a superhero on TV. Sign us up for Batwoman costumes next Halloween!
21 Times Javicia Leslie, The New Batwoman, Was A Red Carpet Fashion Killer
1. American Black Film Festival Honors Awards Ceremony - ArrivalsSource:Getty 1 of 21
2. GQ March 2020 Cover PartySource:Getty 2 of 21
3. American Black Film Festival Honors Awards Ceremony - ArrivalsSource:Getty 3 of 21
4. American Black Film Festival Honors Awards Ceremony - ArrivalsSource:Getty 4 of 21
5. Alice + Olivia By Stacey Bendet - Arrivals - February 2020 - New York Fashion Week: The ShowsSource:Getty 5 of 21
6. Alice + Olivia By Stacey Bendet - Arrivals - February 2020 - New York Fashion Week: The ShowsSource:Getty 6 of 21
7. Street Style - Day 2 - New York Fashion Week February 2020Source:Getty 7 of 21
8. Street Style - Day 2 - New York Fashion Week February 2020Source:Getty 8 of 21
9. Chocheng - Front Row - February 2020 - New York Fashion Week: The ShowsSource:Getty 9 of 21
10. 56th Annual Cinema Audio Society AwardsSource:Getty 10 of 21
11. Special Screening Of "Bombshell"Source:Getty 11 of 21
12. "Farming" New York ScreeningSource:Getty 12 of 21
13. Always A Bridesmaid Los Angeles PremiereSource:Getty 13 of 21
14. Celebrity Sightings In New York City - September 10, 2019Source:Getty 14 of 21
15. Klarna STYLE360 NYFW Hosts Kittenish by Jessie James Decker After Party At ROW NYCSource:Getty 15 of 21
16. Celebrity Sightings In New York City - September 05, 2019Source:Getty 16 of 21
17. E!, ELLE, & IMG Presented By TRESemmé Host NYFW Kick-Off Party – ArrivalsSource:Getty 17 of 21
18. PREMIX Hosted By Connie OrlandoSource:Getty 18 of 21
19. Birthday Celebration Of Javicia LeslieSource:Getty 19 of 21
20. Launch Event Of Global Intuition CollectionSource:Getty 20 of 21
21. The Alliance For Women In Media Foundation's 44th Annual Gracie Awards - ArrivalsSource:Getty 21 of 21
Here’s Your First Look At Javicia Leslie As The First Black Batwoman was originally published on hellobeautiful.com