Listen Live
St Jude banner


A tragic ending after young mother and her baby were kidnapped at gunpoint on Saturday afternoon.

The bodies of 19-year-old Latasha R. Jackson and her 1-year-old daughter, Chaniya Wynn, were found in a garage on the city’s east side. The body of suspect 35-year-old Thomas Lorde was also in the garage. It appears as though Lorde, Jackson’s estranged boyfriend, shot himself in the head.

The bodies were discovered early Sunday morning in a garage of an unoccupied structure in the 7000 block of Union Avenue. All three were found unresponsive with gunshot wounds and pronounced dead on the scene.

Late Saturday morning, Jackson and her daughter were abducted near E.72nd Street and Union Avenue by Lorde. Lorde was a violent sexual predator with felony warrants out of New York. He was armed with a black and silver handgun during the abduction. Lorde was not the child’s father.

19 Action News has learned there may have been a delay in sending out the Amber Alert right away.

It appears the alert was sent out an hour after the abduction of Jackson and her baby. The problem – the county agency in charge of the alert had some very big technical problems.

So far, reports are that Cuyahoga County’s CECOMS sent out multiple transmissions between 1PM-2:30PM on Saturday afternoon, but none of them worked.

Finally, around 2:30PM, 90 minutes later, the Amber Alert was received by 19 Action News and other media outlets.

Cleveland Police are looking into why the delay happened and if the Amber Alert should have been issued faster. They do that every time an Amber Alert is issued.

A vigil will be held on Tuesday, February 21, at 5:30PM on East 71st and Union for Jackson and her baby girl.;;playerWidth=630;playerHeight=355;isShowIcon=true;clipId=6761530;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=overlay;galleryType=wnstory;galleryId=16966678

Article Courtesy of WOIO 19 Action News