SANFORD, FL (RNN) – George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch captain who admitted to shooting and killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, has posted the $100,000 bond and was released from jail Friday.
On Thursday, Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. granted bail at $1 million for Zimmerman after determining he manipulated facts during his initial bond hearing.
“The defendant has flaunted the system,” Lester wrote in court documents. “It appears to this court that the defendant is manipulating the system for his own benefit.”
Since the announcement of the $1 million bond, an additional $20,000 was donated to the George Zimmerman Defense fund. The fund raised $55,000 in the two months before the bond hearing.
To meet the requirements of $1 million bail, Zimmerman needed to post 10 percent, which is $100,000.
According to the website www.gzlegalcase.com, the website set up by Zimmerman’s lawyer, Mark O’Mara, Zimmerman has been taken to a safe house in an undisclosed location.
Because Zimmerman wasn’t charged with any crimes while he was out on bail – including lying to the court about his financial situation – Lester set Zimmerman’s bail at $1 million. The amount is nearly seven times more than his original bail of $150,000.
Zimmerman has been back in jail since June 3, two days after his bond was revoked because Zimmerman and his family had knowingly lied about how much money he had access to.
He also had a second, valid passport which had not been turned over to authorities when he was arrested.
According to Lester, the combination meant “the money [from Zimmerman’s defense fund] only had to be hidden for a short time for him to leave the country if the defendant made a quick decision to flee.
Article Courtesy of WOIO 19 Action News
- WZAK Stone Soul Picnic – Buy Your Tickets
- Missed The Essence Music Festival This Year? Check Out All The Highlights!
- Cosby Kid Coming Back To Prime Time!
- OMG! Usher’s Step Son Declared Brain Dead!
- Matthew Knowles Says Two New Destiny’s Child Reunion Albums And Tour Are On The Way
- Local Akron Woman Dies Hours After Meeting President Obama
- Heidi Who? Seal Looks Like He Has a New Boo
- George Zimmerman Release from Jail After Posting Bond!
- Donna Summer’s Daughters Reportedly Fighting Over Fortune
- Tyler Perry Says President Obama Made Him Stop Drinking
- Oprah Buys Family Business In Foreclosure, Why is Family Upset?