Hey guys, we love you, but stop talking about these things!
1. Your ex. It’s a little ridiculous that we even have to go over this, because it seems like such an obvious thing not to bring up. Let us spell it out for you, we by no means everwant to hear about your ex-girlfriend, your ex-wife, or your ex-best friend that you were in love with. Additionally, we don’t want to hear about how you are still friends with any of the previously mentioned, how much you hate any of the previously mentioned, or how over any of the previously mentioned you are. By bringing up the ex, we only see how not over her you still are.
2. That you’re not a cheater. If you feel the absolute need to declare this to us, it probably means you are one. If you really are someone who doesn’t stray, then your loyalty will become clear as we get to know you better. You don’t need to be the spokesperson for all the nice guys left out there. It’s reverse psychology, if you say you’re not one it makes us wonder if we need to worry that you are one.
3. About how much money you make or all the important people you know. No matter how you present this information to us, it comes across as bragging. Bragging is a red flag for a huge ego and a whole mess of other issues. If you make a lot of money, that’s great for you. We can support ourselves. If you know a lot of really cool people and are super connected, that’s fabulous. However, we are never quite sure how to react to this information but would you like a cookie? usually comes to mind. Possibly the worst part of this mistake is that you begin to sound dishonest.
4. Compliments that fish for brownie points. Ladies, you know what I’m talking about here. The cheesy, awful lines that you know have been used on all the girls before you and are still in his rotation because they have at least a 75% success rate. For example: you are saying how rushed you were getting ready to go somewhere, and he says something like No way, you could never look bad. I’m sure you wake up looking that beautiful. Gag.
5. Your relationship with your mother. Even if you have the best of intentions by telling us about you mother, it has the potential to give some really poor first impressions. If you are too close with her, she could be an interference in our relationship. If you hate her, there’s the possibility that you have trouble trusting and respecting women. It’s a complicated subject, and best left for a later time.
More at BlogHer