- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Sit frozen spinach out to defrost.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add and saute onions until translucent. This usually takes about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg. Stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Best served warm.
Click Banner Below for Marc’s near you!
Also On 93.1 WZAK: