CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) – Twenty-six African American diners have dismissed their race discrimination suit after reaching a resolution with the restaurant Bahama Breeze.
The settlement included financial consideration and enhancements to Bahama Breeze’s diversity training curriculum.
The complaint was filed on Sept. 10, 2018 against Bahama Breeze and two managers, Frances Skupnik and Devin Jenkins, alleging race discrimination in public accommodations and making false police reports.
The original complaint alleged:
- Ms. Nelson and her party were not seated for nearly an hour despite having a reservation, even though a server admitted that she had set up the private-patio area for them earlier that afternoon;
- The staff adopted a hostile and combative approach and failed to do basic things like timely taking or delivering orders or apologizing for extreme delays;
- The managers failed to allocate sufficient staff to serve the party of 20-plus guests and complained that there were “too many people” in the party;
- Manager Devin Jenkins tried to restrict plaintiffs’ free movement within the restaurant, telling Ms. Nelson, “You and your people cannot leave out of this room for anything.”
- Ms. Jenkins repeatedly walked away from members of Ms. Nelson’s party while the guests were trying to speak to her or request assistance;
- Guests who placed to-go orders by phone received their food promptly while guests who relied on the servers experienced significantly longer wait times (if they were served at all);
- A plaintiff who tried to place an order at the bar waited about 20 minutes without being served, but when a white female sat down beside her, the white female was served immediately;
When one of the party requested her check because she had to leave the party early, the customer was told she could not have her check until everyone in the party had their checks.
READ MORE: Cleveland19.com
Article Courtesy of WOIO 19 News Cleveland
First and Second Picture Courtesy of MediaNews Group/Boulder Daily Camera and Getty Images
Is Ashanti Pregnant? X Users Think Nelly Has 'Sealed The Deal'
Sex Positions You’ve Never Heard Of (But Need to Try, Now)
OKC Thunnder’s Josh Giddey Under Investigation For Alleged Relationship With A Minor, X Users Are Dunking On Him
Singer Jaguar Wright Speaks On Puffy Conspiracy At Uptown Records
T.I.’s Son King Goes Live During Their Family Scuffle
South Euclid Lyndhurst Principal Dies After Cancer Battle
Northeast Ohio Pastor Honored In Oakwood Village
Jason Lee Called EGOT Winner Jennifer Hudson Illiterate, X Reads Him For Filth