As Issa Rae continues to reach new heights in her professional career, the 36-year-old has not forgotten the people, and moments, that have impacted her journey. In the June issue of Vanity Fair, Rae shares a memory of late rapper Nipsey Hussle, who she says came through in a major way to mend the relationship between herself and actress Lauren London.
According to Rae, one of her “biggest regrets” occurred when she name-dropped London in interviews and her memoir. Rae said she rubbed her the wrong way by complaining that TV execs had suggested that London could play the lead in Awkward Black Girl, a role that Rae had written for herself.
“One of my biggest regrets, naming her,” said Issa. “She took offense to that.” The relationship was eventually repaired, however, one fateful night at Diddy’s 50th birthday bash.
Rae says Nispey knew of the issue and decided it was time the two made peace.
“He was like, ‘You should just talk to her. Let me set it up,’” she said. “It actually sparked an amazing two-hour conversation. We had so much in common. She was like, ‘People don’t understand, I’m an awkward Black girl.’ In the same way that I was upset about the limited portrayal of Black women, she was like, ‘People do the same thing to me.’ I completely get that.”
You can read more about Issa Rae in the June issue of Vanity Fair.
- Win $1,500 With Rickey Smiley’s ‘Beat the Buzzer’ Contest
- Win Tix To 2021 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Don’t Miss A Moment Of The Rickey Smiley Morning Show
- Big Daddy Kane and KRS-One Verzuz Battle Was Lyrical Fire [VIDEO]
- The Bijou Star Files: Hooters New Uniform Is Causing A Hoot
- Louisiana’s Grambling State University Suffers 2nd On-Campus Shooting In 4 Days Leaving 1 Dead And 7 Injured
- Gang with past abductions blamed for kidnapping Ohio missionaries
- Prayers: General Colin Powell Has Passed From Complications from Covid-19
- Colin Powell, First Black Secretary Of State And Military Leader, Passes Away
- Moving Beyond the Hashtag ‘Me Too.’ Movement Celebrates 4-Year Anniversary With Week Of Action
- 5 Events That Shaped Black History Month In The UK
- Panthers’ Comeback Falls Short; Vikings Hand Carolina Third Straight Loss
- These Fluffy Balenciaga Sunglasses Are Set To Be The Next Fashion ‘Must-Haves’